janpimperton@yahoo.co.uk cpimperton@yahoo.co.uk


CONTACT US

SOCIAL

BAND HISTORY

THE PIT


The Germans ‘started’ Harworth pit in 1914, digging in the land at the back of the old Galway arms. (This was pulled down a few years ago and houses were built in its place. For those of you who may not know where this site was, it is just up from the Harworth Church of England Primary school on the opposite side of the road, almost facing Q’s). The Germans worked here until 1918, when the First World War came to an end. Needless to say the Germans then left! (Most of them were in fact taken to prison camps during the war). In 1919 Harworth Mine was established on its present site, where it has been ever since, underground it expands as far as Mattersey.


In 1922, Harworth Colliery was ‘taken over’ because of bad debts! And so the story of the ‘pit’ began.


AND THE BAND


A Family tradition, something that spans many generations, is the love of brass bands. Musical ability was, and still is, a much respected skill and back in time brass bands thrived in mining communities. They united people from all walks of life giving a sense of warmth and togetherness. In 1849, in a small village named Haydock there lived a gifted musician and bandmaster called Joseph Appleton. Moving to Rainford he started his family in 1872 when a son was born whom they named William. By the age of 19, William had achieved the status of the youngest bandmaster. He played the cornet along with his brother, Albert who also played the horn and the euphonium. All of Williams’s sons played brass (but none of his daughters). Joseph and Seth played Cornet, while William and John played trombone (William junior later became bandmaster of Thorsby Colliery). Seth and John moved to Australia where they continued the Brass Band tradition, and so the story of the band began.